The main gateway for travelers arriving aboard international and domestic commercial flights in North Carolina is Charlotte Douglas airport (CLT), superbly located less than ten kilometers away from the city center. As a major American Airlines hub, its terminal witnesses the departure of more than seven hundred operations handled by the US-based carrier every day, and is home to an American Express Centurion Lounge and two Admirals Club lounges. Some of the busiest air routes from CLT to other airports in the United States are those towards Orlando in Florida, Dallas Forth Worth in Texas, Miami International and Chicago O’hare in Illinois, and among the overseas destinations to which you can fly from Charlotte Douglas we count Guadalajara in Mexico, Frankfurt and Munich in Germany, London in the United Kingdom, San José in Costa Rica and Toronto in Canada.
Sleeping close to Charlotte Douglas airport
Looking at the varied types of travel it covers, it comes as no surprise that many passengers going through this airport in North Carolina opt for staying in a hotel close to its terminal, whether it is to avoid missing the early morning flight that will take them on a dream vacation trip, or because they are business travelers looking to reduce the hassle of flying frequently and enjoy a stress-free stay. In fact, this option is a great idea regardless of your reason to travel, since the closest hotels to Charlotte Douglas International airport in USA all lie within two to three kilometers of it at the most, and generally provide confirmed guests with pick-up and drop-off services, sometimes around the clock and at no extra charge, that is, already included in the nightly rate paid for the reservation.
Which hotels are nearest to the terminal of CLT airport?
- The Home2 Suites by Hilton hotel stands 2,5 kilometers away from Charlotte Airport in North Carolina, and offers free transfers for arriving travelers 24 hours a day. Considered as a great-value-for-money option by former guests, it features a fitness center, complimentary WiFi, private parking, an outdoor swimming pool and breakfast included in the room rate. Each suite includes a fully-equipped kitchen and an independent living area, which make them ideal for couples, groups or families, and some are even accessible units that adapt to the needs of those with reduced mobility. The extra large, comfortable beds ensure a good night’s rest.
- It takes roughly an eight minute drive to reach the Hampton Inn & Suites Charlotte Airport after collecting your bags upon arrival. In line with other accommodations in the vicinity of the airport facilities, this hotel provides complimentary breakfast daily, high-speed wireless internet at no charge and comfortable, well-appointed rooms for guests. Additionally, it has a gym, an indoor swimming pool and business spaces. Rooms as well as studios can accommodate families, while some even include a hot tub and accessible features for visitors with reduced mobility or hearing impaired.
- Less than three kilometers from the passenger terminal, the Courtyard Charlotte Airport North provides airport transfers free of charge. Guests positively value its complimentary WiFi internet connection, the indoor pool, the safety deposit boxes available and the secured parking on site. Here, travelers in transit and vacation goers can relax and get a good night’s sleep before their outbound flight in rooms or suites with extra large beds, soundproof windows, cable TV and in-room coffee maker. If time allows, they may enjoy the whirlpool or spend some time working out at the gym.
- Particularly indicated for business travelers, the Holiday Inn hotel in Charlotte Airport provides confirmed guests with 24-hour free shuttle services and puts conference and meeting facilities at their disposal, with the added advantage that, if they travel with their children who will stay in the same room, the minors can stay in the hotel and eat at no charge. Onsite restaurant, fitness center, parking spots and accessible features including Braille signage make this option a highly inclusive and convenient one, whether you are traveling for work or leisure.
How to commute from Charlotte Douglas airport to the downtown
Should you need to visit downtown Charlotte during your short stay near CLT airport in North Caroline, there are three ground transportation options you can choose for an efficient and fast commute: the Sprinter buses, a rental car or a taxi ride. Take a look below and decide which one could be the most suitable for you depending on your schedule and budget.
- Sprinter bus route 5. These green buses operate direct services connecting the terminal of Charlotte Douglas airport to the city. Departures are every 20 minutes Monday through Friday and every 30 minutes on Saturdays and Sundays. The most convenient fact about this service is that they stop at selected landmarks of Charlotte that include some of the main hotels in the central business district.
- If you would rather rent a car to get around, head to the Rental Car Facility right in front of the terminal building and get your vehicle from your company of choice, some of the best known ones present at CLT being Enterprise, Budget, Avis, Alamo and Hertz.
- Taxi cabs await customers at the curbside of the Arrivals level, outside the baggage claim hall. Look for the badge of an authorized fleet such as Crown Cab, Green Cab, Yellow Cab or City Cab before hopping in, or else wait for a dispatcher to assign your service to a trustworthy driver.